- HyLighter LLC will not reveal identifying information related to any posting made while using HyLighter without the written consent of the originator.
- This policy covers how the HyLighter Sites, Products and Services deal with information about your children under the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA"), and how parents and legal guardians may request from us how they can review, delete or stop the collection of the personally identifiable information of their child.
- This policy does not apply to the practices of companies that HyLighter does not own or control or to people that HyLighter does not employ or manage.
Information We Gather
- The HyLighter Sites, Products and Services .may collect personal information (such as your name, email address, billing address, phone number, credit card information, and certain optional information such as birth date, birth place, mother's maiden name, gender, zip code, and biographical information.
- The HyLighter Sites, Products and Services may also collect information about your transactions with us and with some of our business partners. This information might include information necessary to process payments due to us from you such as your credit card number.
- The HyLighter Sites, Products and Services may automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, cookies, and the pages you request.
- The HyLighter Sites, Products and Services .use information for the following general purposes: products and services provision, billing, identification and authentication, services improvement, contact, research, education, training, and anonymous reporting.
- The HyLighter Sites, Products and Services may occasionally obtain IP addresses from users depending upon how you access our web sites. IP addresses, browser and session information may be used for various purposes, including to:
- Diagnose and prevent service or technology problems reported by our users or engineers that are associated with the IP addresses controlled by a specific web company or ISP.
- Estimate the total number of users visiting HyLighter's web sites from specific geographical regions.
- Help determine which users have access privileges to certain content, services or resources that we offer.
- Monitor and prevent fraud and abuse.
- A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes an anonymous unique identifier that is sent to your browser from a web site's computers and stored on your computer's hard drive.
- If you reject all cookies, you may not be able to use the HyLighter Sites, Products and Services that require you to "sign in," and you may not be able to take full advantage of all offerings.
- You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set.
- The HyLighter Sites, Products and Services use their own cookies for a number of purposes, including to:
- Require you to re-enter your password after a certain period of time has elapsed to protect you against others accidentally accessing your account contents.
- Keep track of preferences you specify while you are using the HyLighter Sites, Products and Services.
- Estimate and report our total audience size and traffic.
- Conduct research to improve the content and services provided on the HyLighter Sites, Products and Services.
- HyLighter LLC may, in the future, allow other entities that show advertisements on some of our web pages to set and access their cookies on your computer. Other entities' use of their cookies is subject to their own privacy policies, and not this policy. Advertisers or other entities do not have access to HyLighter LLC's cookies.
Information Relating to Children
- The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA") requires that we inform parents and legal guardians about how we collect, use, and disclose personal information from children under 13 years of age. The HyLighter Sites, Products and Services are not directed at children under 13 years of age but, we recognize that, with proper adult supervision, some parents might permit their children to visit and utilize the HyLighter Sites, Products and Services. Also, teachers in elementary and middle schools may use HyLighter with their under 13 year-old students for educational purposes. COPPA requires that we obtain the consent of parents and guardians in order for children under 13 years of age to use certain features of the HyLighter Sites, Products and Services.
- When your child attempts to register and/or provide personal information to HyLighter, Inc (including on any of the HyLighter Sites, Products and Services), we require a parent or legal guardian to:
- complete the registration;
- Once parental notice and consent has been verified, the information we collect will be treated the same as information collected from any other user of the HyLighter Sites, Products and Services. Without verified parental notice and consent, we will not knowingly collect personal information of children under 13 years of age, and if we learn that we have inadvertently collected such information, we will promptly delete it.
- In the case of children under 13 years of age using HyLighter for educational purposes, it is the responsibility of the school to ensure that COPPA requirements are met.
How Parents can Access their Children's Personal Information
In compliance with COPPA, parents and legal guardians may request us to review, delete or stop the collection of the personally identifiable information of their child. You may do so in one of two ways.
If you know the user name and password, follow the instructions below regarding Changing your Preferences and Personal Information, or you may contact us by letter, phone or email using the address information provided at the bottom of this page.
If you request that no further information about your child be collected or used, we will be required to terminate your child's ability to use the HyLighter Sites, Products and Services that require a user to "sign in."
Information Use, Sharing and Disclosure
- The HyLighter Sites, Products and Services do not share personal information we learn about you from your use of the web sites, products and services with others except as described in this policy. We do not share your information with unrelated third parties for their direct marketing purposes. However, the HyLighter Sites, Products and Services (i.e., depending on the type of Service) may display targeted advertisements based on personal information.
- When you provide personal information through using the HyLighter Sites, Products and Services .you are however sharing your personal information with HyLighter LLC and its affiliated entities. The use of your personal information by these organizations is subject to this policy.
- The HyLighter Sites, Products and Services may use or share your personal information where it is necessary to complete a transaction, to operate or improve the HyLighter Sites, Products and Services, to do something that you have asked us to do, or tell you of products and services that we think may be of interest.
- Where you are contacted with an offer or service based on information you have shared with any HyLighter Sites, Product and/or Service, we will do our best to provide you with an opportunity to opt-out of receiving such further communications at the time you are contacted, however, in connection with any of our paid products and services (i.e., products or services that you license or use for a fee), we reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to those products and services, such as service announcements, administrative messages and the HyLighter LLC Newsletter, that are considered part of your HyLighter LLC account, without offering you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving them.
- When you post a message, your user ID or alias that you are posting under may be visible to other users.
- When you post a message on any HyLighter LLC Site, you have the ability to post a message which may include personally identifiable information about yourself.
- If you post personal information online that is accessible to the public, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return.
- The HyLighter Sites, Products and Services may share personally identifiable information about you under the following circumstances:
- In the course of operating our business it may be necessary or appropriate for us to provide access to your personal information to others such as our service providers, contractors and select vendors so that we can operate the HyLighter Sites, Products and Services .and our business. Where practical, we seek to obtain confidentiality agreements that are consistent with this policy and that limit others' use or disclosure of the information you have shared.
- We may share your personal information to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, to establish or exercise our legal rights or, defend against legal claims and if in our judgment in such circumstances disclosure is required or appropriate.
- HyLighter LLC may revise, modify or update this policy. We will notify you about significant changes in the way we treat personal information by sending a notice to the primary email address specified in your particular HyLighter LLC account or by placing a prominent notice on our site.
Confidentiality and Security
No data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we make efforts to ensure security on our systems.
- We use physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect personal information about you.
- Your account information is password-protected.
- In certain areas, the HyLighter Sites, Products and Services .use industry-standard SSL-encryption to protect data transmissions. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of such firewalls and secure server software.
If HyLighter LLC learns of a security systems breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using the HyLighter Sites, Products and Services .or providing personal information to us you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of those sites, products and services. We may post a notice on our applicable web sites if a security breach occurs. If this happens, you will need a web browser enabling you to view the applicable web sites. We may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us in these circumstances. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive free written notice of a security breach (or to withdraw your consent from receiving electronic notice) you should notify us at email@example.com.
Changing your Preferences and Personal Information
- You can edit your account information with an applicable HyLighter LLC Site, Product and Service at any time. Most personal information you may provide is entirely optional. For example, to the extent that parents are considering whether to permit their children to use the HyLighter LLC Sites, Products and Services, we do not condition a child's participation based upon their provision of any more personal information than is necessary to operate those sites, products and services.
- You can delete your applicable account by visiting the applicable account deletion page; however, please note that some personal information, primarily your contact information, may remain in our records to the extent necessary to protect our legal interests or document compliance with regulatory requirements.
If you have a privacy concern regarding any HyLighter Sites, Product or Service, or this policy, and if you cannot satisfactorily resolve it through the use of those sites, products or services, you can write to us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, we can be reached by telephone at: 866.657.6662 or our postal mail address:
HyLighter LLC 1918 Wahalaw Ct. Tallahassee, FL 32301 Attention: Privacy Officer
If you object to any sharing of your personal information that may be permitted under this policy, you may do so by writing us at the above address. We will take reasonable steps to accommodate your requests as they relate to our advertising practices. In some instances, honoring your requests may interfere with or preclude your ability to use the HyLighter Sites, Products and Services .or may require us to terminate our relationship with you.
Effective Date: Novemeber 1, 2007